Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Bygone Era

Today’s post is of the personal nature as I feel obliged to give some props to my father-in-law who is enjoying his first day of retirement after 47 years of working.

That may not seem all that spectacular at first mention, but when you consider that he has spent all of his 47-working years at the same company it certainly moves him into the category of the remarkable.

The family gathered last night for a diner at one of the area’s nicer restaurants and I couldn’t help but become reflective of how things have changed since he started working.

My father-in-law was one of the first people his company hired, so the fact that the company itself is still in business after 47 years is an accomplishment. The fact that he remained loyal to them through his entire working life is another feat that will be hard to be matched in this day in age.

Is it idealistic to think that in 2009 companies should feel the same loyalty to their employees that was felt in 1962 (the year my father-in-law went to work)? I don’t think so. There is a fundamental issue at play here, big or small, a company’s main asset is its people. I would even argue that its internal people are often more important to their external people (customers). I only say that because if you have the right internal people first, the right customers will come. If you have the wrong people the wrong customers will follow.

Having the right people also makes it easier for companies to get through the lean times, many of which are going through right now. My father-in-law saw his company ebb and flow through good times and bad, often times laying employees off only to bring them back as business picked up.

I don’t know if my father-in-law worked or a company representing a bygone era and way of doing business or a guiding light for business owners in the 21st century about the best rules of practice for their business? Either way, kudos to him for 47 years working at the same place and I wish him the best of luck in his retirement and am hopeful he can enjoy his new recliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment