Wednesday, February 16, 2011

STL Today Fail of the Day -- 2.16.11

I don't know how long it has been since the St. Louis Post Dispatch redesigned their home page (I am going to guess 6-8 months ago). As an avid consumer of news I have always had the home page to my city's daily paper bookmarked. I used to even follow many of the paper's RSS feeds until I realized they were populating many of the same feeds with the exact same story.

So ever since they have come out with the new home page I realized they have a problem when they initial publish a story and then hours, or days, later they publish an updated or revised version of the story. I used to find it quirky that two prominent headlines either on the actual home page or a section page would link to a story on the same subject matter even though they had different headlines.

I know stories can often develop over hours or days, after all I used to work in this space. Not knowing what back-end system they were using to upload stories to the web I figured they were working on it.
A few months ago what I had attributed to a quirky system was starting to frankly piss me off and affecting how regular I visited the paper's web site. I have no idea of anyone at the Post-Dispatch will see this or read this but for my own sanity starting today I am going to post a daily example of this (or other #Fails) that I find on STLToday.com (the Post's online site).
I will post a screen shot along with a link to what I found, realizing that the content on the link could change the screen shot will at least show you how inept they are at updating content or at least not having the same story matter right next to each other.

So without further ado, here is the first installment of the STLToday FoD
(Fail of the Day).

At some point the paper published a story with the headline of "Person is Ejected from Vehicle in St. Charles." The story actually referenced workers "on the scene."

The very next story to be updated (or at least put on the feature spot for the "St. Charles" section of the site), had a headline of "Wentzville Man Killed in Car Crash."

Yep, you guessed it, the exact same subject matter in both stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment