Tuesday, February 2, 2010

TWIS: Super Bowl Addition

The latest installment of This Week In Sports:

So it is officially Super Bowl week. I am writing this actually on "Media Day" of the Super Bowl. I attended one of these in my previous life and I can tell you that was enough for me. The event has been relagated to a shide show for comedy bits and freak shows while the real "journalist" are pushed to the back players have to endure hours of mindless questions.

But enough about that.

It his funny how your presctive on the Super Bowl changes when you don't have a horse in the race, as I do this year. My Rams are dreadful (and hav been for a few years now) and the Cardinals flamed out in the second round of the playoffs. I am sure there are millions of fans like me, but the interesting thing about this year's Super Bowl is that both teams are "good stories."

The Colts are lead by a quarterback in Payton Manning who does all the right things and says all the right stuff. He isn't a show boater nor a "me first" player. The fact that appears at least once on nearly every commercial break in the fall gives him added awarness among casual fans who will be watching the game.

The Saints carrying the revivial of one of America's greatest cities on their shoulders. A population decimated by Katrina and stil trying to rebuild, can now take joy from a simple game by rooting for their team on the big stage of the Super Bowl.

Both these story lines are good ones and make it hard for impartial fans like me to root "against" anyone or either team. I am hopeful for a good game and will be happy for whoever is holding the trophy come Sunday night. In the meantime I will have fun watching the commercials (eventhough I have seen nearly all of them already) and betting on both the outcome of the game and the crazy side bets (more on those later this week) that go along with it and only seem to pop-up on Super Bowl Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment