Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wacko Jacko is Gone

I write that headline not to make fun or light of a person's death.
I use the tactic only to drive home the point that I am among those in my generation who grew up loving the music and performance that was Michael Jackson. From his days with the Jackson 5 to Billy Jean, Thriller, even Man in the Mirror, Michael Jackson was without the King of Pop.
I realized today though that Michael Jackson, the one I knew and grew up listening to, didn't die today but a longtime ago.
The Michael Jackson that came out in the headlines, courtrooms and documentaries in the last 15 years wasn't the guy I was fond of as a kind, and certainly wasn't a person I was fond of as an adult the more I learned and heard about his personal life.
Unfortunately in this day and age of instant gratification and a 24-hour news cycle maybe we learn more about celebrities than we should, or more than we need. While Michael's career on the stage stands for itself and alone as one of the true pop icons of the TV and video area, his life off the stage can't be overlooked as well.
Michael's legacy was made in part due to the convergence of technology (the advancement of cable TV and music video), therefore that same technology (cable news, and cameras at every turn) was Michael's downfall and what ultimately tarnished that image.
Regardless of who you feel about the man, sympathay goes out to his family and those close to him. His music will still be enjoyed for generations to come, but admitidely with some of the luster worn off.

No comments:

Post a Comment