Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Was Artie Lange Out of Line?

First things first, I am a Joe Buck fan, and in full disclosure I know who Artie Lange is and use to watch him on Stern, but other than that, I have no real opinion on him.
While Joe is from St. Louis, I have never had any personal interactions with him. I have been at the same function as him numerous times but the stars have never been aligned for us to ever talk, even briefly.
So much of STL was eagerly awaiting the debut of the Joe Buck Show on HBO Monday night. Buck had booked Brett Farve as his top guest and the interview was superficial for the most part but Joe was very good. 
I was enjoying the show and then for the last segment Joe brought on Artie Lange to be a part of a panel discussion. A train wreck ensued and while I thought Artie had some funny lines Joe clearly was uncomfortable with the direction the show was going. Even in that light I thought Joe handled himself well. Other hosts might have taken the bait and sunk the entire ship, Joe was able to at least keep it afloat. 
Way too much has been made of this in the media so I will keep it brief, but what else would people expect when you mix premium cable (i.e. HBO) with a comic who has made his name as a cast member on the Howard Stern Show?
HBO has taken the clips of the show off of YouTube but the program will be reairing this month on HBO, I would suggest you check it out if you can. If you can't read Joe's take courtesy of SI.com.  

FOLLOW UP:
The saga continued today on the Mad Dog show on Sirius  radio:


No comments:

Post a Comment