Saturday, January 16, 2010

This Week In Sports (TWIS)

So a new feature for the 2010 version of Smitty Said will be a weekly recap of things going on in the sports world that I feel compelled to comment on.

Mark McGwire being treated like a hero by Cardinal fans is just wrong. I was there when he hit his 500th career home run, it was a magical night and one I won't ever forget. I am not going to cast moral judgement on him for using steroids or other drugs, but I promise you one thing, he is no longer a "hero" of mine. He still has a chance to become a champion of youth by becoming the poster-boy for educaction and why kids shouldn't use drugs, but until that time comes, no cheers, applause, much less a standing ovation, from me for him.

Kurt Warnrer should retire and will be in the Hall of Fame.

***Please help the Red Cross earthquake relief efforts: text "HAITI" to 90999 and make a $10 donation to support the American Red Cross. ***

I love watching the Australian Open. It starts next week and I love it because I just love watching live sporting events and with the time difference it provides the only live sports events for late night and early morning viewing. I remember touring the grounds on a past business trip to Australia too, good times indeed.

Watching Sports Center this week I realized how irrelevant the NHL has become. We have a team in my hometown that is starting to make a playoff push, I am not scoreboard watching yet but I realized how little the rest of the country cares about the NHL. Of course the fact that ESPN doesn't carry any games I am sure makes it easy for them to put highlights at the bottom of the page, if not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment