Thursday, January 14, 2010

Smitty Read/Reading This Week

So most of you know that I am an avid reading of both short form and long form writing, it mainly goes back to my days as a journalist and reading great stories was a natural way for me to improve on my craft.
I read now much more for enjoyment and to educate myself on issus, trends and other news. Part of the new efforts of this blog will be a weekly feature focusing on grea articles I have found and am reading or have read as well as highlighting a great book or two.

So without any further ado here is this week's installent.

GQ released a great story today about the cover-up and aftermath of a shooting at car wash owned by Marvin Harrison ("former" NFL player). I won't give the artivle too much prose here other than to simply say it is a must read:

I sarted kayaking last summer for the first time and feel in love with it. Still at the point where I am renting kayaks when I go out on area rivers for float trips but I hope to own one soon. The NY Times Sunday Travel section had a great piece on kayaking along the Mississippi river on a stretch that is practically in my backyard. A touching piece about the bonding of the reporter and his teenage son during the trip too.

The book I am currently reading (and I suspect will have finished by the weekend), is a great look at the history and future of Google. Of course professionally his is a company I rely greatly on for our business, but even if you aren't the digital world you should read this just to learn more about a company that I think will be sure to dominate the corporate landscape for years to come.

Please feel free to pass on any recomedations you might have as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment