Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Earthquake Update


Well official reports are finally starting to come in, part of the reason I wasn't find much online regarding is that the quake was centered in Nicaragua and not Costa Rica.

Nicaragua borders Costa Rica to the North so it ws still close, the quake registered at 5.7 at its center (stronger than most though, but then again its center was a few hundred miles away, so it was probably more like a 4.5 here, or at least that is what those with local knowledge are telling me).

The above map shows a blue dot where the center of the quake was, you can put it in perspective, in terms of how close the quake was to us in San Jose, by checking out the link below.

To view a map of Costa Rica in the region, click here:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/central_america/costa_rica/costa_rica.htm

The map showing you were the center of the quake was came courtesy of the Earthquake Locator site I told you about the other day, you can get more direct info on the quake (like how many people felt it in San Jose, and elsewhere, by click here:
http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quakes/mapscript/demo_run.pl#

I am just thankful that no one was hurt in this quake, and of course a part of me is now happy that I can say I lived through a quake.

CARDS NOTE. . . .

Well I think the magnitude of Albert's homer last night is finally starting to sink in, I think the Cards have a chance to pull this out, and even if they don't, it will be often remembered as one of the greatest homers in Cardinals post season history (right there with Ozzie's in '85 and Jimmy's from last year, let's just hope unlike those years the Cardinals take home a World Series title, but even if they don't, what a memory, and of course I will always remember it as the homer I saw in Costa Rica.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment