Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Wilma's Aftermath Felt Firsthand

Well what a few days it has been to say the least.

The wrath and aftermath of hurricane Wilma were felt firsthand as I was in South Beach as the storm hit. I can honestly say it wasn't the scariest thing I have ever been through but the sound and noise that accompanied the storm were certainly new experiences for me. Lost power at some point during the height of the storm. I woke up at 3 a.m. and the winds were howling in hard, and being on the 11th floor added to the sound I think. Was able to fall back asleep but when I woke up a few hours later there was no power. Reports were that more than 3 million people in South Florida were without power.

I tried to stay busy for a day in the hotel, did a lot of reading and just chilling after the storm but it became clear there would be no power for days, maybe even weeks. Airport was still closed so my only option to get to Atlanta and ensure I got there on time was to rent and car and drive the 11 hours from MIA to ATL. . .Made in late last night and I can tell you driving the entire length of Florida was an eye opener.

Devastation (ripped signs, privacy fences, broken windows, trees limbs and other debris on roads), stretched from Miami all the way up to about 50 miles south of Daytona. Gas stations were a mess along the way as people needed fuel and power is out all up and down the peninsula.

Lots of photos will be updated later. I took a detour on the way up here to Daytona International Speedway and got to hang out in Victory Lane there, that was pretty cool.

A drastic weather change here in Atlanta as it is very cold, I am going to have to make a run to a mall today to get some warmer clothes, as I have none.

The BoSPoker.net car has a new driver this weekend for the race in ATL. Mike Sinner will be taking over the wheel (our fourth driver this season, part of being a low budget team though). The funny ting is that one of the first NASCAR Truck races I covered in my sports reporter days was one by Skinner in STL, so I am looking forward to talking to him about that.

Lots of updates will come now that I have A) POWER, B) a reliable internet connection and C) time (although I do have some work related matters to tend to first. But I am OK and glad to be out of the story path and a little closer to home!!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment